Software Engineering, Meyer
ETH Zentrum, RZ J8
Department of Computer Science
RZ Building, RZ J22
Phone: +41 44 632 76 84
Fax: +41 44 632 14 35
This page: http://se.ethz.ch/people/pedroni
I am a researcher at the Chair of Software Engineering held
by Bertrand Meyer at ETH,
the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich and a lecturer for the course Software Architecture 2010. I defended my PhD thesis in October 2009 under the supervision of Prof. Bertrand Meyer.
My main area of interest lies in the teaching of programming and I have been involved in several efforts to improve the teaching thereof. In particular, I have developed a modeling approach for educational domains that helps instructors manage and design courses. It is supported by the software framework TrucStudio and we have applied it to the domain of teaching object-oriented programming. The results are a map of dependencies between OO concepts, a collection of commom misconceptions that novices have when learning to program, and concise descriptions of the fundamental concepts of OOP. These resources are available online.
I was responsible twice for the management of the course Einführung
in die Programmierung held during the winter semester. This course is inspired by a new
teaching strategy, the Inverted Curriculum (see project
webpage), that teaches introductory programming outside-in and uses
an extensive code framework called Traffic.
I am the project manager of Traffic and have supervised many student projects that improved and extended Traffic.
Student projects I supervise(d)
A separate webpage shows information for students doing projects under my supervision.
- Summer semester 2004:
- Winter semester 2004/2005:
- Summer semester 2005:
- Winter semester 2005/2006:
- Summer semester 2006:
- Winter semester 2007:
- Spring semester 2007:
- Fall semester 2007:
- Spring semester 2008:
- Fall semester 2008:
- Spring semester 2009:
- M. Pedroni, M. Oriol, B. Meyer. The Prior Experience of Entering CS Students. Submitted to Informatics Education Europe 2010, 2010. [PDF]
- M. Pedroni, B. Meyer. Object-Oriented Modeling of Object-Oriented Concepts - A Case Study in Structuring an Educational Domain. In Proceedings of Teaching Fundamental Concepts of Informatics, 4th International Conference on Informatics in Secondary Schools - Evolution and Perspectives, ISSEP 2010, Zurich, Switzerland, January 13-15, 2010. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5941, 155-169, Springer 2010. [SpringerLink]
- M. Pedroni, M. Oriol. A Comparison of CS Student Backgrounds at Two
Universities. Technical Report 613, ETH Zürich, Chair of Software Engineering, 2009. [PDF]
- M. Pedroni, B. Meyer, M. Oriol. What Do Beginning CS Majors know? Technical Report 631, ETH Zürich, Chair of Software Engineering, 2009. [PDF]
- M. Pedroni, M. Oriol, B. Meyer, E. Albonico, L. Angerer. Course management with TrucStudio. In Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference on innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (Madrid, Spain, June 30 - July 02, 2008). ITiCSE '08. ACM, New York, NY, 260-264. [Link]
- M. Pedroni, M. Oriol, B. Meyer, L. Angerer. Automatic Extraction of Notions from Course Material. In Proceedings of the 39th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (Portland, Oregon, USA, March 12 - 15, 2008). SIGCSE '08. ACM Press, New York, NY, 251-255. [Link]
- M. Nienaltowski, M. Pedroni, B. Meyer. Compiler Error Messages: What Can Help Novices?. In Proceedings of the 39th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (Portland, Oregon, USA, March 12 - 15, 2008). SIGCSE '08. ACM Press, New York, NY, 168-172. [Link]
- T. G. Bay, M. Pedroni, B. Meyer: By students, for students: a production-quality multimedia library and its application to game-based teaching, Journal of Object Technology (JOT), Vol. 7. No. 1, Jan/Feb, 2008. [PDF]
- M. Pedroni: Application to the Doctoral Consortium at SIGCSE 08, February 2008.
- L. N. Cassel,
R. J. LeBlanc,
J. Currie Little,
A. D. McGettrick,
M. Pedroni. The Computing Ontology: Application in Education. ITiCSE 2007 Working Group Report. SIGCSE Bulletin 39(4):171-183, 2007. [Link]
- M. Pedroni, M. Oriol, B. Meyer. A Framework for Describing and Comparing Courses and Curricula. In Proceedings of the 12th Annual SIGCSE Conference on innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (Dundee, Scotland, June 25 - 27, 2007). ITICSE '07. ACM Press, New York, NY, 131-135. [Link]
- M. Pedroni: Application to the Doctoral Consortium at SIGCSE 07, November 2006.
- M. Pedroni, T. Bay, M. Oriol, and A. Pedroni: Open source projects in programming courses, In Proceedings of the 38th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (Covington, Kentucky, USA, March 07 - 11, 2007). SIGCSE '07. ACM Press, New York, NY, 454-458. [Link] Details
- M. Pedroni and T. Bay: Visualize and Open Up, International Journal for Informatics in Education, Volume 6, Issue 1, 2007. [PDF] [Link]
- M. Pedroni and T. Bay: Visualize and Open Up, 10th Workshop on Pedagogies and Tools for the Teaching and Learning of Object Oriented Concepts, at 20th European Conference on Object Oriented Programming (ECOOP), Nantes, FR, July 2006. [PDF]
- M. Pedroni and B. Meyer: The Inverted Curriculum in Practice, In Proceedings of the 37th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (Houston, Texas, USA, March 03 - 05, 2006). SIGCSE '06. ACM Press, New York, NY, 481-485. [Link]
Reviewer for ...
- ITiCSE 2007, June 25-27, 2007, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
- SIGCSE 2008, March 12-15, 2008, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- SIGCSE 2009, March 4-7, 2009, Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA .
- ITiCSE 2009, July 3–8, 2009, Paris, FR.
- LASER summer school - organizer
Elba, September 12-18 2004
Practical techniques of software quality